The newly restored Jamaica Town Hall in the Village of Jamaica, Vermont, was built in 1851 to be a Universalist Meeting House.
Around 1875, the Jamaica Dramatic Club began to use the former church, and in 1880 the energetic theater club purchased the building and renamed it The Opera House. The Club constructed a new rear wing with a stage and backstage area, as well as an entry vestibule with a ticket booth.
In 1921, the Jamaica Dramatic Club sold the property to the Town of Jamaica. Since then this historic building has been used for town meetings, weddings, concerts, plays and other events.
In 2005, work began to restore the Town Hall to its Opera House days. The 2 1/2 year project was completed in time for the 2008 Town Meeting. Showing off the new chairs, main stage curtain and the restored painted curtains.
The Jamaica Town Hall is the perfect venue to hold your next event. Please call the Town Clerks Office for rental information.